Tuesday 24 July 2007

Broccoli coming out our ears

Well despite what I thought was careful planning all the broccoli I planted is ready at exactly the same time, and today there are another four massive stalks that need picking. I heard that you can lightly steam florets then plunge them in ice water, then freeze them so I might try that. Otherwise I will have 20 litres of broccoli soup in the freezer.

And never to learn, I have planted out lots of purple-sprouting broccoli seedlings where the early potoates used to be so I guess I will have the same problem last year. I shouldn't complain though cos it tastes fantastic. Mr Butternut is extremely impressed!

I've also been spending a lot of time jam-making, first blackcurrant and then endless raspberry. All this comes from the wild fruit bushes in the countryside near our house. The only thing better than raspberry jam is free raspberry jam. (Apart from the sugar...) But something odd happened with the second batch. It has set beautifully but in the jars it has separated with all the seeds at the top. Mysterious, not sure what I did wrong...

And here is a picture of my gorgeous Cosmos 'Chocomoca' plant which smells just like it sounds.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done for the broccoli! It's very difficult to grow, so you should VERY proud of yourself. And these heads look absolutely perfect. I am totally impressed.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the magnificent broccloi. Don't worry about the purple sprouting, that comes much more gradually, and has a longer 'shelf' life on the plant. Unless you report another glut in the spring!
TopVeg